Community Safety and Support
Navigate Up
Sign In
You are on our old website. View our new website.

Rural and Urban Fire

Image for the Rural Fire page.
This page contains information about fire restrictions and fire permits, with links to relevant websites.
Updated: 2/10/2018 1:28 p.m.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand is responsible for fire control and issues fire permits in urban and rural areas. Northland Regional Council is responsible for smoke nuisance.

Fire restrictions and permits

During the warmer dryer months, you will need a fire permit to light a fire in open air in urban and rural areas. To check if you need a fire permit and to apply for one if you do, go to:


You can also call Fire and Emergency on 09 401 0723 if you prefer.

For information about safe fire practice, go to:

Having a Fire

Backyard burning

Burning some materials creates smoke that can affect your health. Read more about the Northland Regional Council's Air Quality Plan and what you can and what you can't burn.

Backyard Burning

Contact fire and emergency

If you have questions or concerns about fire restrictions or fire permits, call Fire and Emergency on 09 401 0723.



Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council. We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.