Building and Property
Navigate Up
Sign In
You are on our old website. View our new website.


This page contains general information about registering a business which requires a licence from Council.
Updated: 15/06/2020 12:53 p.m.

Council Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) inspect and licence commercial premises such as:

  • food premises,
  • hairdressers,
  • offensive trades,
  • camping grounds and
  • funeral directors.

The Environmental Health Officers are also Licensing Inspectors. They inspect premises which hold an alcohol licence.

The Inspectors work with the Police and the Medical Officer of Health to report to the District Licensing Committee on a range of alcohol licensing issues.

Applying for a licence

To find out more about applying for a licence, please follow the links below:

Food Businesses

View information about the registration of food premises, what the Food Act means, how to make a food complaint and food premises grading.

Alcohol / Liquor Licensing

View information about liquor licensing including applying for various licenses, our role as a District Licensing Agency, Hearing Agendas and Decisions and liquor bans.

Other Licences

View information about and applying for other licences including Hairdressers, Camping Grounds, Offensive Trades or Funeral Directors.

Trading in Public Places

View information about trading in public places and about and applying for a mobile shop, stall or hawker licence.





Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council. We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.