Building and Property
Sign In
You are on our old website. View our new website.

Development Contributions

Image for the Development Contributions page.
This page explains what Development Contributions are, when they are collected and what for.
Updated: 12/09/2020 9:19 p.m.

Continuing growth in the district places financial demands on Council to provide new, or upgrade existing, public infrastructure e.g.

  • reserves,
  • roads,
  • wastewater and
  • water reticulation.

We recover part of these costs by collecting development contributions from those who undertake development projects. This ensures that those creating the need for additional infrastructure pay a fair share of the costs, and that existing ratepayers do not fund the entire development.

View the full version of the Development Contributions Policy on the page below.



Developments which may be liable for contributions

  • commercial building works (including additions)
  • commercial and residential subdivisions
  • second dwellings
  • service connections
  • any other development activity that may create impact on infrastructure.

Calculation of contributions

Calculations are based on units called Household Unit Equivalent (HUE). This is the average measure of impact generated by one house and is the rate applied to a second dwelling or a new lot created by subdivision.

Commercial development and service connections are calculated through a formula of adjustments to the HUE rate and vary depending upon the particular activity or building use applied for.

Please consult our Development Contributions Policy for a full explanation or contact our Development Contributions team for further assistance.

Assessment of contributions

Contributions are assessed on all resource consents, PIMs, building consents and public utility applications.

Assessments are made on the initial application and any subsequent related applications. A notification of assessment is provided at the issue of Notice of Decision for a Resource Consent, a Project Information Memorandum (PIM), a Building Consent, and a Public Utility Application.

Payment of development contributions is dependent on the type of application.

Resource consents:

  • before issue of a Section 224(c) Certificate
  • at activation of a Land Use consent
  • at activation of a Certificate of Compliance

Building consents:

  • invoiced upon the first inspection for works

Service connections:

  • before Council approval to connect to water, sewer and storm water

For further information, select from the links below.

Development Contribution rates

The base rates for development contributions are outlined within the current policy.


For an initial assessment prior to lodging a consent application please contact us.



Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council. We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.